Friday, May 4, 2012

Adventures in Canning Strawberry Jam 101

 Odd shape isn't it?!

Mashed up 5 cups of strawberries
Boiled the strawberries until, a rapid boil.
Then I added 6 tablespoons of natural fruit pectin
 I stirred it in really well...
I added 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Then I added 7 cups of sugar... I know , I know that is a lot but the recipe called for it! 
Eeeek!!
 Then I stirred in the sugar really well & brought it yet again to a rapid boil.
I used a ladler & a funnel to pour the jam into the jars. I left about 1/4 of pace on the top.
I forgot to take a picture of this step, but I simmered  the lids in another pot until I needed to put them on the jars.
I found this canning system at my local grocery store for only $11 something and it holds 3 jars. In the future, I would love to get a bigger canning system.
Yet again I forgot to take another picture of processing them, but I put them in a big pot with about
1-2 inch's of water covering the jars & boiled them for 10 minutes.
I took them out of the pot and let them cool on a rack for a bit, then I un-screwed the ring to check if they sealed and they did! 
Can't wait to try out more canning recipes! I did find another strawberry canning recipe that calls for honey instead of all that white sugar! A lot more healthier for you! 
I definitely want to try that one out next time!

I hope you enjoyed my first adventure in canning!
Happy weekend!
Sincerely,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment